Who may apply: Current high school seniors and full-time or part-time, degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate students. Students attending a private career school may also apply. Priority given to Montgomery College students, and Undergraduate students. Students of the Universities at Shady Grove apply directly through USG”
Please note that students at Universities of Shady Grove must apply directly through USG and NOT through our office; instead please call 301-738-6023, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact Tom Clifford at email@example.com, or 301-738-6334. Their priority deadline for student scholarship applications is June 30th. USG considers and verifies applications in July, then they send us the names of scholarship winners in early August.
How to apply: Delegate Bonnie Cullison makes her own awards. Please contact us with any questions. Application with additional instructions can be found here.
You may also contact the other representatives in District 19, Senator Roger Manno, Delegate Ben Kramer, and Delegate Maricé Morales to learn about their scholarship process and deadlines. Students must complete and file the FAFSA.
When to apply: Complete and file the FAFSA by March 1. Complete and submit our scholarship application by June 1. Contact us in April for further instructions.
Eligible majors: All majors are eligible.
OUT OF STATE INSTITUTIONS
You may use this scholarship at an out-of-state school if your major is not available at any Maryland institution and if your delegate agrees. In order to verify your major as unique, you must complete the Unique Major Application and submit it to MHEC with the required documentation. Allow 8 weeks for processing.
Active Duty Applicants: Scholarship can be used at out-of-state institutions if the applicant is on active duty with the U.S Military and domiciled in the State.
You and your parents (if you are a dependent student) must be Maryland residents. You must enroll at a two-year or four-year Maryland college or university as a full-time (12+ credits per semester) or part-time (6-11 credits per semester), degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate student, or attend certain private career schools.
You must complete the FASFSA and demonstrate financial need.
2017-2018 Award Minimum: $200
You may hold the Delegate Scholarship with all State awards. The total dollar amount of all State scholarship awards may not exceed your cost of attendance as determined by your college’s financial aid office or $19,000, whichever is less. Funds may not be available to award all eligible students.
RENEWING AN AWARD
Awards are not automatically renewed. You must re-apply each year to your delegates. You also must complete and file the FAFSA.
CONDITIONS OF AWARD
You must be a District 19 resident. If you do not know how whether or not you live in District 19, go to mgaleg.maryland.gov.
- MD Higher Education Commission (MHEC) – State Scholarships & Grants: http://mhec.maryland.gov/preparing/Pages/default.aspx
- MD Hispanic Achievement Scholarship: http://montgomeryhispanicgala.org/scholarship.htmlFederal Student Aid, an office of US Dept. of Education (info about understanding different types of aid including loans): https://studentaid.ed.gov/
- US Dept. of Education: http://www2.ed.gov/finaid/landing.jhtml
- National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators: http://www.finaid.org/
- Scholarship Search (search for scholarships): http://www.fastweb.com/
- Peterson Education and Career Center (scholarship search and info): http://www.petersons.com/college-search/scholarship-search.aspx
- College Entrance Exam Board and Educational Testing Service: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/pay-for-college?fromPage=home
- Personal Assessment and Career Planning Info: https://www.salliemae.com/plan-for-college/